Travelers who frequently ride Amtrak between New York City and Washington, D.C., can save big on early morning and late evening departures with Amtrak’s new ultra-low Night Owl Fares, starting at just $5 one-way.
Fares between $5 and $20 are available on select Amtrak Northeast Corridor routes, including those that stop at New York’s Penn Station, Philadelphia’s 30th Street Station, Baltimore’s Penn Station and Washington’s Union Station.
Sale fares are for off-peak travel, departing between 7 p.m. and 5 a.m., for one-way coach tickets.
Routes: Northeast Corridor routes.
How to book: Directly with Amtrak.
Blackout dates: Valid for travel between 7 p.m. and 5 a.m.
The below fares are on sale, priced as marked at the time of publication, though we cannot guarantee availability at the time of booking:
- Philadelphia’s 30th Street Station (PHL) and Washington’s Union Station (WAS) to Baltimore’s Penn Station (BAL) and BWI Marshall Airport (BWI), starting at $5.
- New York’s Penn Station (NYP) to Newark’s Penn Station (NWK)/Liberty International Airport (EWR), starting at $5.
- NYP to PHL, starting at $10.
- WAS and NYP to Wilmington, Delaware (DEL), starting at $10.
- PHL to WAS, starting at $10.
- NYP to BAL, starting at $15.
- WAS to NWK/EWR, starting at $15.
- NYP to WAS, starting at $20.
Seating is limited and may not be available on all trains at all times; fares are subject to availability.
Sign up for our daily newsletter
Based on a test search for this story for a ride from New York to Washington, the earliest availability I found for these fares was one train March 27, though there’s wider availability into April.
Maximize your purchase
Be sure to use a credit card that earns bonus points on travel, such as:
The information for the American Express Green, Amtrak Guest Rewards and Amtrak Guest Rewards Preferred cards has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
You may have to play around with travel dates to find a fare type on sale for your desired route and dates. Once you find it, book it and don’t look back.
Editorial disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, airline or hotel chain, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.